Friday, January 10, 2014

A Chat with Travis Bundy

Welcome Travis,

What did your parents say when you told them you wanted to make comics?


They were always very supportive of my decision to become a professional artist. They didn't really understand comics, but they knew it was writing AND art, so they figured it was a more worthwhile endeavor than just being "some beatnik painter in a cold water flat in the Bronx."  


In time they both have come to really enjoy my work and they can't wait to see what I come up with next.






Can you describe your creative process?

When I was young I was never a huge comic fanatic, I was always much more into movies.  My parents didn't own a video camera, so I had to make my own movies with pencil and paper (like story boards). 

That's how I still approach my current work. I think of it in movie terms (casting, cinematography, etc). I try to give my work the dynamic feel of an action film but employ the same pacing and camera work that a comedy or drama would use when it's called for. Basically, if I could turn any of my books into movies, it would be a fairly easy transition.


What is your favorite comic to movie adaption?

That's a tough one. While the newest Marvel and DC movies have done a great job bringing those characters to the screen, I was always more of a fan of the indie side of things.  

Since manga and anime were some of my very early influences, I'd have to say that Akira stands out as my all time favorite adaptation. It's so detail driven; from the music to the art to the sound efx. It still holds its own today against current animated films... and it's over a quarter of a century old. 

If we're talking live-action, I'd have to say that Snyder's adaptation of 300 tops the list. It's so groundbreaking and gory. I actually like it better than the book.

If you didn't make comics what would you be?

Way more successful, more than likely. I probably would have followed my passion for film and done something with that. While I'd like to think that I'd be a writer or director, I'd probably still be bringing Uwe Boll his coffee on the set of his next video game movie disaster all the while hoping for the dream job of being Ian Ziering's personal assistant on the next Sharknado project. Ugh.


Thanks Travis


See what Travis is up to as Art Director at Creator's Edge Press

No comments:

Post a Comment