Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Chat with Quenton Shaw

Hi Quenton, Tell us a little about yourself:

I was born and raised in Birmingham, Alabama.  Upon graduating from from West End High School I served in the in the US Army for a little over seven years. After an honorable discharge, I settled in the Pacific Northwest and for the last 27 years I've become a permanent resident of the state of Washington. 

On May 3, 2003 I established my very own imprint, Quality Entertainment Works Publishing, which is now coined simply as QEW (pronounced like the letter "Q") Publishing. Initially, the idea of QEW Publishing was to be just a venue for me to create my own creator-owned intellectual properties to submit to third party prospective publishers like Dark Horse Comics, Image, Boom, etc. 

However, seven years later and a new technological leap for self-publishing with the advent of digital publications of e-books and e-comics brought with it some new insights for QEW Publishing's direction. After major infrastructural shift occurred and QEW Publishing suddenly became an actual small-press publisher of independent comics and novels

On March 31, 2011, QEW Publishing published and released its very first line-up of comic titles, Cody Coyote and Diabolicus and the novel Left Hand Tree by JD Gunter.


Zevon 7 #1




















Why Comics?

My first experience with comics was a Spider-Man comic book I had way back when I was little kid. I recall that I couldn't even read it at the time, but I was genuinely intrigued by the story art. Comics was where I first began to read with enthusiasm and later was the catalyst that peaked my love for comics and passion to become a creator and writer of comics.

Can you describe the publishing process?

From the most simplistic perspective, publishing in my experience is a dual process between the conceptual and the actual industrial methods of production. Both methods can run either parallel of each other or sequentially. My preferred and most practical route is the sequential paradigm, which is to thoroughly complete the development of the concept for a new project prior to delving into the project's industrial process.

What’s your favorite comic to movie adaption?

The Dark Knight because I believe David S. Goyer and Christopher Nolan's collaboration on the revived cinematic adaptation of DC Comics' Batman was clearly one of best creative 
teams Hollywood has endorsed in very long time.

You've had varied careers in your life. If you weren't publishing comics what would you do?

I'd most likely still be skirting the perimeter of the comics industry still wishing and wondering how I'd get into it.

Thank you, only 12 days till the panel!

QEW Publishing

No comments:

Post a Comment