Sunday, January 12, 2014

A Chat with Megan Kelso


Welcome back Megan, 

It's great  to see you back for another panel and we are so excited about your workshop for writers who want to take a stab at comics/graphic novels. We have a few questions for you:



Did you have a favorite comic as a kid?

I didn't read a lot of comics as a kid except for the ones in the newspaper, which I read faithfully every day after school. The only comic I really pursued beyond the newspaper was "Peanuts." 

Though I enjoyed reading stuff like "Archie," "Richie Rich," and Mad Magazine at other kids' houses, I don't remember ever thinking to buy my own comics. 

My interest in drawing and storytelling came from classic mid-century children's book illustrators like Lois Lenski, Margaret Wise Brown, Robert Lawson, Mercer Mayer, Tasha Tudor, Robert  McCloskey and Maurice Sendak.

You both draw and write. Which comes first, works or pictures?

When I first started making comics, writing came first, In fact, I would write out an entire script before drawing.  Over the years I have moved more and more towards beginning with the pictures.

What's your favorite drawing implement?

I have a Staedtler mechanical pencil that I'm very attached to. It has thick, soft lead.


If you weren't a writer/artists what would you be?

When I was a kid I wanted to be either a park ranger or a veterinarian and those still seem like pretty cool occupations.

Thanks for chatting with us, Megan.


See more of Megan's works at http://www.girlhero.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment