Sunday, January 5, 2014

A Chat with Crystal M. Rollins


Hi Crystal,

First, we'd like to thank you for the fabulous job you did on the GNP 2014 flyer.


Tell us a little about yourself...

I am a married, post-college military brat who has returned to her native land of the Pacific Northwest.

Did you have a favorite comic as a kid?

I honestly didn't get into comics as much as a kid. I read every one in the paper simply because 'grown up stories' in the news used to bore me.

I caught a Japanese cartoon show called "Sailor Moon" in middle school which led me into Anime, and then into Manga. I really fell in love with long-form comics in that form, moved into webcomics, and finally to American comics.

But my favorite out of the paper was probably "Calvin and Hobbes."

Can you describe your creative process?

Usually it starts with something the sparks my mind as an interesting idea. More than half my stories have begun from dreams I had that were strange or unique enough to write down.
From there, I refine; I flesh out characters and make the scripts more structured.




What's your favorite drawing implement?

Wacom tablet and pencil. Faber-Castell golds are my favorite.

If you weren't making comics what would you be doing?

I was a straight-A math and science student all through school, so if I didn't go into an art field, I imagine I would have gone into Engineering of some kind.

Thanks so much for stopping by. This year's panel is going to be great!

Visit Crystal's website

No comments:

Post a Comment